And you're reading this because.....?

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Death watch?

If anyone reading this is a news junkie like myself, they you are one of two types of people: Those who gobble every morsel, and those who think...Overkill?

I will be the first person to admit that CNN is on my fav channels list. When nothing else is on...sure, I'll throw it on for background noise. But with the Terry Schiavo deathwatch and now the oversaturation with the Pope's funeral, I am finding myself a little tired of the whole mess.

I don't mean to suggest that neither event is saddening, nor do I imply that it is not newsworthy. But dear GOD...how many shots of large crowds can you show us before we get just alittle over the whole newscycle of these events? Now, if either one of those folks happened to rise from their deathbeds...THAT would be news. But is all this coverage really necessary? Methinks not.

What else I find wholly uneccesary is the apparent cannonization of Terry Schiavo. How many of those supporters really had heard of her before she became an unsuspecting media figure of sorts? Sean Hannity is STILL beating the drum of her constitutional rights being violated. The woman has been cremated, Sean...not a thing that shoots out of your overactive pie-hole will bring her back or change the situation. She was a brain-damaged patient who had the great misfortune to be a pawn in a family fued. Hannity, Coulter, and the other throngs of conservative yappers who talk endlesslly about her violated rights don't seem to take into account that the judicial branch, which had the facts as documented, ruled against the 'ruling party,' and it turned out that they just didn't get there way, when the elections told them otherwise. Too bad, so sad. Things don't always go the way you plan, now do they.

Of course I sound heartless in this. Not much I can do about that. I am not, I assure you, heartless. However...when a person is MISSING A CEREBRAL CORTEX, it is pretty much assured that you aren't doing much healing, thinking, talking...in essence, with the abscence of a cerebral cortex, the most a person is able to accomplish is converting oxygen to carbon dioxide, which the plants love, but those who love you are watching your shell waste away, pained by the memories of who you were, agonizing over the disparity of who you now are. Why, exactly, were the conservative talkers so on board with keeping 'life' afloat when all it meant was more money for the medical teams and more pain for the families involved? If this is the party of 'life,' I want no part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home